After months sometimes even years of planning the perfect day, figuring out what to do after your honeymoon can be a challenge. Luckily for you, we are here to make sure that you get all the important things taken care of after your perfect wedding day.
1. Get your dress dry cleaned and stored away- You want to make sure you get your dressed dry cleaned and stored in a temperature controlled location 6 months after your big day. Your dress is a very delicate thing and if it’s not properly taken care of soon after your wedding you could end up damaging it.
2. Change your name- If you have officially decided to make the switch (most brides don’t) then you should start at the DMV. You can go to DMV.org and make all the changes online. You also need to change your name on your passport ( go to travel.state.org and follow the steps provided), on your social security card (get the steps on how to do that at socialsecuity.gov), and on your credit card (which you can do simply by calling the credit card company).
3. Tell the tax man- Since you can now check the married box when you file your taxes you can decide whether you should file together or keep it separate. Talk with your accountant to see what the best option is for you.
4. Send thank you notes- Sending “thank you” cards to all your guests is an absolute must. And don’t believe the myth that says you have 6 months to a year to send them. Try to send them out as soon as possible while the memories are still fresh in your mind and you are still motivated to do so. The longer you put something off the less likely you are to actually do it.
5. Return unwanted gifts from the registry- Some of the gifts you may have gotten are either repeats or you just don’t have a need for them. Depending on the store, you can return gifts from a registry up to 6 months after the wedding.
Source: The Nest